Cork City Library is a terraced five-bay purpose-built library, first opened in September 1930. The library enjoys an excellent location on Grand Parade in the centre of Cork City. The building was extended and refurbished in 1979. The lending library (719m²), Rory Gallagher Music Library (74m²) and the Thomas Davis meeting room (46m²) are located on the ground floor, the reference library (289m²) and computer room (12m²) is on the 1st floor and the Local Studies Room (197m²) is on the 2nd floor. The total area of the HQ and book store is 830m².
Some architectual features of the building include an ashlar fronted façade, a first floor balcony with limestone carved balustrade, parapet wall façade, Cork City coat of arms carved on balustrade, and a domed ceiling. Remains of the 13th century city wall have been incorporated into the foyer wall.
|Local Authority Name
||Cork City Council
||Cork City Library & HQ
||1 September 1930
Locality & Services
|Type of Service
||City Library and library HQ
|Type of Building
||Extension and renovation
|Description of Locality
|Stand Alone Facility
Size & Costs
|Number of Floors
||Local Authority, DEHLG
Features & Facilities
Local studies collection
||Paid parking adjacent
- Cork City Library, Plan, April 1977, p.7-10
- A Grand Parade: Memories of Cork City Libraries 1855-2005 / edited by Liam Ronanyne; written by John Mullins and Liam Ronayne, 2005
- National Inventory of Architectural Heritage, DEHLG
- A Poet in the Library / Thomas McCarthy. Gardens of Rembrance, 1998, p.72-86.
Architect & Design Team
||Kelly & Barry Associates (1977)|
||Cork City Council; Cork City Librarian (1977)
Officially opened following extension and refurbishment in May 1979. Rory Gallagher memorabilia donated by Rory's brother, Donal Gallagher, are exhibited in the Rory Gallagher Music Library.
A new five-storey library of 4,600m² is planned on the site of the existing library.
For further information please contact Cork City Council Library Authority