Public Libraries Database

Balbriggan

Balbriggan Library is a located in a Carnegie Free Library, built in 1905 and an extension, built in 2006. The original protected library building, which now houses a lecture room on ground floor level and librarian's office on the 1st floor, is built in Scottish Baronial style. The walls are Portmarnock red brick with limestone dressings and feature numerous limestone carvings and plaques, the interior features moulded cornicing and a timber window architrave. A special feature of the original building is the corbelled circular plan clock tower/turret. The clock tower's spire is supported by limestone brackets and terminates in a weathervane.

The library was renovated in 1981 and renovated and extended in 2006 as part of the re-development of George's Square. The three-storey extension, to the rear and side of the original building, houses the adult lending library and exhibition space on the ground floor and the children and young adult lending library on the 1st floor. There is a shared meeting and conference rooms on the 2nd floor and 2 levels of integrated parking at basement level, providing a total of 114 parking spaces.

Library Details
Local Authority Name Fingal County Council
Library Balbriggan
Date Opened 1 December 2006
Contact Details
Address George's Square
  Balbriggan
County Co. Dublin
Telephone 01 8704401/8704402
Fax 01 8412101
Email balbrigganlibrary@fingalcoco.ie
URL www.fingalcoco.ie/LivingInFingal/Libraries/
Locality & Services
Type of Service Branch library
Type of Building Extension and renovation
Type of Building Converted Carnegie Library
Description of Locality Suburban area
Urban Population 6731
Stand Alone Facility No
Locality & Services
Partnerships Local authority area offices, Residential units, Senior citizens centre, Town council offices
Size & Costs
Number of Floors 2
Size (m2) 844
Funding Sources Local Authority, Public Private Partnership
Features & Facilities
Special Features Architectural features
Materials
Accessibility Accessible entrance
Accessible lift
Accessible parking
Accessible ramp
Accessible toilets
Special Facilities Exhibition area
Learning space
Lecture room
Literacy classes
Local studies centre
Meeting room/community space
Women's Studies Resource Centre
Writers group
Parking Integrated parking
Internet Access 19 terminals
Wi-Fi Yes
Printing No
Photocopying No
References
  1. Buildings of Irish Towns / P. Shaffrey, 1983, p.80
  2. Irish Carnegie Libraries / Brendan Grimes, p.78-80
  3. National Inventory of Architectural Heritage, DEHLG 
  4. 'Take 5 - of the best modern civic buildings in Europe', Irish Library News, No. 267, January/February 2007
  5. Census 2006 Table 12 Alphabetical list of Towns with their population, 2002 and 2006 (Population within legally defined boundary)
Architect & Design Team
Architect Name George L. O'Connor (1905)
Fingal County Council Architects' Department (2006)
County/City Librarian Fingal County Council; Fingal County Librarian (2006)
Additional Information
  The original building was 275m². The library was re-opened following extension and renovation on 20 January 2007.

For further information please contact Fingal County Council Library Authority

 
 

Search the Database

Search

Please select a Library:

Or use the search options below:

Conversion Calculator

Convert between metres and feet

Conversion Calculator